2017: Year of Blue Marlin, White Marlin, Yellowfin Tuna, Mahi Mahi (Dolphin fish, Dorado), Barracuda, Wahoo, Sailfish, Lumberjack…
Dear friends, this is overview of year 2017. In this fishing report I have tried to include some of comments from Facebook and local weather & water conditions; photos from the tours and reviews from Tripadvisor should say more about our operations.
For those who are looking for the next fishing destination and just find out for Gone Fishing in search engines, here is a quick overview:
Gone Fishing deep sea fishing charters are offered in the morning and afternoon, you can charter private boat or join to shared boat with other avid anglers. All Gone Fishing charters include durable gear (fishing rods, reels, lures), bait, tackle and all the expert assistance you could possibly need, on the best fishing locations to get as much fishing opportunities as possible. Free transport from-to hotels and drinks are included, too.
Our experienced captains have been guiding fishing charter tours for over 15 years and they are more than happy to share their passion with like minded anglers. Both experienced and beginning fisherman have equal chance to catch some of the big game fish species with help of Gone Fishing insightful crew. Depend of season, offshore fishing enthusiasts are looking for Blue Marlin, White Marlin, Yellowfin Tuna, Mahi Mahi (Dolphin fish, Dorado), Barracuda, Wahoo, Sailfish, Lumberjack… Catching your fish while on vacations in Punta Cana is an experience not to be missed!
Punta Cana is an undeniable hot spot, prime location for excellent big game fishing year-round. Families and friends, Spring-Breakers, private parties, corporate groups, wedding parties or just sailing lovers – plan your big fishing trip with Gone Fishing and cast your fishing rods into impressive deep Blue waters of Punta Cana!
– A new year as started and after just one week of good fishing conditions, we were hammered again with a week of wind and powerful waves that lasted for 8 days. Finally on Jan. 17th we were able to resume our activities. Even do we did not have much opportunity to get our folks out there, when we finally did, these same folks were well rewarded. Blue Marlins, Striper Marlins, Sail fish, Mahi Mahi’s and Wahoos were all on display.
– jan 21 – jan 31 / Great weather and great fishing these past 10 days. And we’re seeing more folks enjoying their catches at the beach restaurant. Special Thanks to Bruce Z. who enjoyed an amazing day on the water with crew Tito and Johann, couple of White Marlins and beautiful Blue Marlin and two Mahi’s, great day overhaul. Can take that off the bucket list 🙂 Also a special to Bart B. and his family and who also enjoyed a glorious day on the water. Thanks again to everyone for joining us for the fun and sun. Cheers jack
Hands down the best ppl to fish with
I went out fishing with the ppl at gone fishing, and they were hands down the best ppl I have ever fished with, om the owner Jack to the captions and 1st mates! They all went out of there way to do what they can to make your trip enjoyable! Even with days of bad weather and no fish we all had so much fun! We went out again and had a even better time catching a few fish including the always tricky Blue Marlin! Lost a bunch but landed a few, even if we hadn’t caught any it would have still been a great day with a great group of ppl that work there! I would highly recommend GONE FISHING to everyone! They are the most honest and classiest ppl to fish with in the Dominican Republic! Such great equipment from rods to reels right up to the boats! If your in the Punta Cana area and like fishing a visit to gone fishing is a must!
Great staff great adventure
If you ever consider doing a deep sea fishing excursion go through Gone Fishing company. This is a very professional come that knows how to take care of there customers. The owners take the time to meet and greet you. The crew is as friendly and go out of there way to make sure you day is to your expectations. We did our excursion on January 19th and were on Emanuel boat, he took great good care of us and as a bonus we caught a 3 foot Mahi Mahi and an 8 foot Marlin. It was a great experience with a great crew. Thank you for the great day
Got a Marlin!
Our fishing adventure got delayed a couple days because of the rough waters. I am glad it was because they could have just taken our money and put us on a rough ride. The gentleman that runs this is a wonderful Canadian that goes by Captain Jack. He has a great staff that will walk you through everything. The sea was still rough the day we went fishing but our guide tried very hard to get us a fish. And we got a good sized Marlin out of it. It took us a while to reel in the big fighting fish so we all took turns. I think it was better that way so we could all say we caught it. The Marlin was the only thing we got that day but it was great for being rough waters in January. We got some great pictures with the fish and they provided rum/soda/beer/water.
Very Exciting, for “slow day”
When Jack picked us up at the resort, he said “I’m not going to sugar coat it, the fishing has been very slow because of the weather”. The first 4 hours we didn’t catch anything. Then I hooked and lost a Mahi. Shortly after my wife and I doubled on Mahi Mahi at 20 & 35 lbs. I then proceeded to hook and loose two White Marlin, Followed by hooking and landing a 200 lb. Blue Marlin. Along with two other Marlin misses, turned out to be a pretty exciting “slow” day. We were fishing on Jan. 25 and our Captain was Tito and first mate Joan . Totally AWESOME crew
– February 1st to February 28th / Beautiful weather and great fishing for the month of February. Thanks to everyone for joining us. Hope you come back soon again and try your luck once more. Cheers jack
Once in a Lifetime
I was expecting not to catch anything but the sun and a buzz from the beer. Well we caught alright. 4 mahi mahi on at one time. We caught 5 Mahi Mahi and 2 Tuna. Our other group on a different boat caugh 4 Mahi Mahi and 1 Tuna and lost a Marlin.
5 hour day Charter
My son and I chartered a boat for a 5 hour Trip while vacationing in Punta Cana. Although we didn’t catch anything right away, captain Anderson and crew remained positive, and vigilant throughout our trip. Before we knew it, they were on the fish And ended up catching 7 dorado for the Day. Our crew was polite and friendly and always willing to help. They made fresh Ceviche on the boat, which was great! Would recommend “Gone Fishing Punta Cana” to anyone interested in a great vacation memory and fishing trip!
Best part of my vacation
The bus picked me up on time !! When I arrived at the beach Marc and Miguel greeted us (spoke English very well) we were advised on the water conditions and introduced to our fishing guide Anderson who was fantastic !!! Anderson gave us all life jackets to bring us over to the fishing boat that was very nice. Captain Benny Hill greeted us on board. After a short briefing we were on the move. And to my surprise the line were put out about 5 minutes after we left 7 nice rod with Shimano reels and we were fishing. Was a great time! We caught 4 Mahi Mahi saw some HumpBack Whales WHAT A BEAUTIFUL SIGHT.
Anderson made us a sovichy (salt lime onion on a filet) he let it stand for about half an hour and served us. Was very good.. when I returned to land had the catch an eat. A must !!! it was fantastic what a way to finish a beautiful day of fishing by eating what I caught. By far a high light of my vacation. Will do it again with GONE FISHING Punta cana. Excellent service #1 in my book. Thanks to the staff and crew. Cheers Rodney
Tick that one off the bucket list!
I’ve done a lot of fishing but I could never justify the expense of a deep sea charter till now…I am very glad I did! Pick up from our resort was smooth and we arrived at Bavaro Beach in a light rain but strong winds. We were cautioned that the waves were running 5-7′ but we decided to continue with the charter regardless. I booked a private charter for 4 and once on the boat, an ageing but wonderful Bertram 35, First Mate Anderson explained the game plan and introduced us to Captain Alex… Within the first 20 minutes after Anderson set the lines we had a Mahi Mahi double header with one of them being close to 40lbs! We ended up catching and keeping 4 Mahi Mahi and a juvenile Blue Marlin that we released without bringing it into the boat. Once back to the beach we took some photos and watched Anderson filet the smallest of the fish which was then cooked for us at the beach restaurant. All in all a wonderful experience well worth the cost.
From the start, the attentiveness of the staff was impeccable.
Our driver (Elvis?) was right on time at 7.05am and was friendly, especially given the fact that most of us were quiet and still waking up.
We were greeted by Mark at the site, who explained everything clearly and had us fill out the paperwork and settle up. He calmed our fears regarding the waves we had read about, and let us know that there were only 3-4ft waves that day instead of 7-10ft. In fact, the water was calmer than that, so we were luck in a sense (dramamine or some other anti-nausea medicine is still recommended nonetheless for those who get seasick).
We chartered a private boat for 5 hours with Jo-An (probably misspelled, but that’s how it was pronounced), who was incredibly patient and took fishing very seriously. He taught us how to bait the hooks and always ensured that the bait was fresh, frequently switching it out. There were five of us on board that were fishing, and we each caught a Mahi-Mahi. The smallest of the fish, Jo-An filleted on board and made ceviche, which was delicious.
It was a truly memorable experience and they earned their tips.
– New month, new guests and once again some real nice fishing. White Marlins are starting to come into our area as well as Yellow Fin Tunas. and of course Beautiful Mahi’s and Wahoos, continue to be our main target.
– Second week we had another set back with Mother Nature, that put us on hold for 5 days from March 5th to March 10th. Real sorry for all the folks that we had to cancel their tours, for safety reasons.
A special thanks to Shelleen K. that came out again for the second year in a row, with her hubby and daughter and were rewarded with some huge Mahi’s. Finally looks like the Northern fronts will stop coming down and affecting our schedule and guests will be able to go out and enjoy much calmer seas going ahead.
– March 16th till March 31st / The last 2 weeks of March were fantastic weather and fishing wise. White Marlins are showing up on a daily basis and so are the Yellow Fins. A special thanks to S. McGee and the kids that joined him on a fun day of fishing. Once again Congrats to the winning team. Thanks to everyone for choosing our outfit for your fishing trip, we look forward to seeing you again on your next trip to Punta Cana . As the NHL playoffs are around the corner, we would like to tell everyone to “KEEP YOUR STICK ON THE ICE”
Booked our trip for 4 easily, online and through emails prior to our trip. We were picked up at our hotel, introduced to our captain and first mate Daniel, given a brief safety talk and we were off! We spent a great day on the water and caught 4 large fish! The crew used one of the fish to create a tasty ceviche right on the boat. We also gave one to a local restaurant upon our return to prepare for our lunch. The crew made our day relaxing and fun.
Jack was extremely helpful, communicative, and flexible in setting up our shared charter. The crew Alex and Wonder were fantastic, Wonder always checking the baits to keep them fresh and both keeping an eye out for flocks of birds, buoys, and other signs of where we might find fish. We had many bites but only managed to land one small Barracuda, which is just how it goes sometimes with fishing.
Best fishing ever
Best fishing experience ever. I highly recommend gone fishing punta cana from amateur to skilled fisherman. Professionalism and security is outstanding. Cheerful staff made me feel comfortable and secure and part of the expedition. I will remember this fishing experience for ever. Thank you gone fishing punta cana.
Great Day of Fishing
First of all I would like to defend the owner/operator Mark and the fine operation that he runs. Mark cannot help how rough the seas are and control your sea sickness. This is offshore fishing which takes a certain stamina. You are not in a flat lake brim fishing, so take precautions if you have never been in the ocean.
I charted the boat for a half day afternoon excursion. I took a group of my clients out for a great day on the ocean. Yes the waves were 6′ to 8′ but everyone did fine.
My captain Francisco and his first mate Jordan were professionals. The first hour of fishing was slow, but hey it’s fishing. Once Francisco got us on the fish it was game on. We landed 4 Dolphin (Mahi Mahi), 1 Barracuda (way small) and released a one sail.
My only complaint was the morning trips were booked. If we could have booked a morning trip, I would have taken advantage of the restaurant preparing our catch for lunch. I believe it was only $10.00 to prepare and that included the sides.
Gone Fishing is a professionally run company and their safety practices showed before boarding the vessel and during the excursion. I would highly recommend Mark and his crews for your off shore fishing excursion.
Holy Mahi Mahi
Having not gone fishing in Punta Cana I searched at least 10 guide services before deciding on Gone Fishing and boy was did I make the right decision. Jack was very quick to respond to all of my inquiries and made me feel comfortable with my decision to fish with him. Our ride from the resort to the beach was punctual and pleasant. Once we were dropped off at the beach what looked like might be chaos was very organized by the staff. Our first mate Anderson greeted us and told us what to expect. We were loaded up in tenders, taken to our fishing boat and headed out right away.
We were no more than an hour into our day when we hooked six fish within about 2 minutes of each other. Anderson and Captain Benny Hill did an awesome job of keep our lines from getting tangled up. Not an easy feat with 3 people reeling and 3 lines still in the water with fish on. By the end of the day we had 26 fish on the line and 21 of those in the boat. It didn’t leave much time for the provided lunch, beer and rum to be consumed. It was one of the best days of deep sea fishing I have ever had. Definitely recommend Gone Fishing.
Loved the fishing!
Enjoyed a day of fishing with gone fishing! Booked a full day with friends. Slow in the morning then ended up with 2 Mahi Mahi, 1 Barracuda and a nice White Marlin. Team was professional and provided a nice simple meal with beverages. I would recommend them and would book again in the future.
– April 1st till April 15th / Great fishing, Great Weather, Easter Weekend. Just a quick overlook of what the first 2 weeks of April were like. An unexpected surprise for one group of fishermen with a beautiful 389lbs Blue Marlin was caught. Good job and great team effort to everyone involve on this fabulous catch. Thanks for everyone to tag along with us and also enjoying their catches at the local Beach restaurant.
– April 16th until May 13th / Hello to all our followers. Weather has been great except for a couple of days of rainy weather. Fishing has been excellent with White Marlins, Yellow Fin Tunas and Mahi’s still around in loads, and even a few lucky ones were surprised with some Blue Marlins showing up.
Thanks for all those who stayed and enjoyed their catch and a special thanks for my buddies Mark and Mike from New York State, thanks guys for coming out again this year with us.
This is a great company to do a charter fishing trip with. From our pickup at the condo in the morning to the return ride back it was a pleasurable experience. We were 2 of 7 people on the boat on a half day charter, the crew was great and fishing was pretty good as well, we caught 2-small Barracuda, 1-small Mahi, and a nice White Marlin, about 80lbs. I highly recommend fishing with this company if you decide to charter a trip.
Picked up at hotel by Mark from Gone Fishing. Great guy, easy trip to the beach/launch beach and everything went smoothly. Franklin was the captain and Wonder was the first mate and you couldn’t ask for two better hosts. Franklin has at least 11 yrs as captain and Wonder has over 20 as first mate. Great boat, clean and well set up.
The boat caught a fish about 1hr in but we were skunked after that. So I tried to drink all their beer to make up for it.
Overall great day even without catching a lot of fish. Staff make you feel very welcome and for first timers or people who are a little apprehensive they make it real easy. Would go back in a heart beat.
Great time all around
We booked the 4 hour half day charter prior to arriving in Punta Cana and everything went smooth from start to finish. We made our 30% deposit when we booked and paid the rest in cash upon arrival that morning. Pickup at hotel was on time. Didn’t take long after we arrived to get out to the boat and start. We had Benny Hill as our captain and Anderson as out first mate. The buoy report that day was 4 to 5 foot waves. It was rough heading out and my 10 year old did end up getting sick. He toughed it out and was able to reel in 2 Mahi Mahi’s.
Once we turned around and started heading back in things calmed down and he end up feeling better even before we got back to shore. We ended up catching 5 in total. Anderson worked the entire time making sure the baits were good and switching out the lures…even when the rain really started to come down. When we got back we chose to have the restaurant prepare one of the Mahi’s for our lunch. It really was delicious and worth it.
Fun Fishing Experience
We did the four hour shared tour with three in my party. They picked us up on time from our resort and brought us back safely when our trip was complete. As can happen, the fish weren’t really biting on our trip but we still had a blast. Luckily, myself and my brother were able to each catch one fish! We took advantage of the service at a restaurant where we got on and off the boat to cook our Wahoo for us. It was the most delicious meal we had the entire trip! Our first mate was also really professional and did a great job of rotating the bait and making sure all the lines were active in the water. I would use this service again on a future trip!
Great time fishing in Punta Cana
If you like to fish and you are in the Punta Cana area, Gone fishing is the place to go. I took my son and I out for a shared charter and we had a great time. My son caught some Mahi-Mahi and I caught some Barracuda and Mahi-Mahi. The fishing boats are nice. Decent quality gear. The staff are very friendly. We were very fortunate to get into some great fishing action. There is nothing quite like seeing a beautiful Mahi-Mahi curling in the water, or in one case even jumping out of the water. WOW!
– May 14th to May 29th / Hello to all our followers. For the most part the Ocean Conditions have been good with seasonal average swells.. Fishing has been excellent with White Marlins, Yellow Fin Tunas and Mahi’s, and we’ve even pulled in some Blue Marlins which is unseasonable.
– We have met some great folks over the past half month, we appreciate and thank everyone for choosing our outfit for their fishing experience in Punta Cana. A little shout out to Sabine who came on board 3 different days and got a trifecta Barracuda, Mahi-Mahi and on her last trip a nice White Marlin.
We look forward to seeing everyone back again on their next trip to Punta Cana and invite everyone else to come and join the experience!!
May 31 / Facebook comment:
Great day of fishing yesterday for Dani, Malia and Curtis on their private charter with First Mate Wander and Captain Franklin on Noemi….
18 Mahi-Mahi and 1 Wahoo.
Had fun! Definitely would go again!! My son enjoyed his first experience deep sea fishing! Captain Franklin and First Mate showed us a great time!
AWESOME DAY OF FISHING IN PUNTA CANA
Everything about the fishing trip was awesome. Setting up the trip with Jack was great, the 2 guys on the boat, Anderson and Benny were the best. We caught 11 mahi mahi and 3 Barracuda. It was a private charter for 4 hours, myself, my father, my brother-inlaw, my 2 boys and my nephew (10,13, and 13 years old). My younger one got sick in the first 20 minutes, but Anderson took care of him with water and ice on his neck. I can’t say enough about how great an experience it was. Watching my 13 year old son reel in a couple of mahi mahi by himself was a very cool experience.
Anderson was helpful and entertaining.
Booked a morning trip, pickup was good, tour started around 8.30 and ended at 12.30. Lots of drinks on the boat, Anderson helped bait the hooks and had everyone throw in the lure. We all caught fish that day – one a piece which is awesome. Please note that fishing is a sport and not guaranteed catching. I was able to catch a small Mahi and a White Marlin. Another guy caught a Blue Marlin. Overall really great experience. Would definitely suggest this company and staff!
These guys are in the business of making memories. Booking was so simple and Jack kept in constant communication with me via email prior to my trip. He happily answered all my questions and concerns about weather… I opted for a solo 6 hour charter, and for me, that was the best decision I made. If you really love to fish like I do and want an unforgettable experience, get the boat all to yourself! It costs more, but Gone Fishing has the best prices and value in my opinion. Especially when you consider the price of gas in DR and how much goes into these boats when your trolling all day. My captain and mate were the best! Friendly and accommodating, constantly offering food and drink. I like to learn as much as I can about different types of fishing, so since this was new to me, they showed me how to rig up bait and set lines in the outriggers. It was awesome!
There were 4-5′ swells, just like they said, and a few bigger ones, but nothing that the captain couldn’t handle. Being out there was the whole trip for me. Deep Blue water, the ocean breeze and the smell of the sea air. The bonus, the big bonus was the fish. Fast action on Mahi-Mahi, three in a row! As soon as one was landed, another hit! And after and short break, some cold drink and fresh pineapple, we hooked a beautiful White Marlin. I will never forget the show it put on for us. It’s a sight to see, their vibrant colors and acrobatics in the water, simply beautiful. Captain and mate handle the boat and lines with superior skill. Coaching you the whole time and landing your fish. After the day was done, they took photos for me, put me back into a car and brought me back to the hotel. I was given the option of a “shore lunch” at a restaurant on the beach that cooked your catch for a small price.
And next time, I will definitely do that, but on this trip I already had plans with my wife. In all, we got 5 big fish, 4 Mahi and a Marlin, but like I said, they were the bonus. If you want a great time on the water, with an experienced team of fisherman, you’ll be treated fantastic by Gone Fishing. If you absolutely need to catch fish and are going to get upset if you don’t or because the water was “to rough”, then stay on the beach. I’ll gladly take your spot out there! Thanks again Jack and the whole Gone Fishing team!
– June 6 / We would like to thank OLY and his family for coming our with us this afternoon and congratulate everyone on their fantastic day on the water…. 1 BIG Wahoo and 42 Mahi-Mahi.
We hope to see you back the next time you are in Punta Cana, and wish the Bride and Groom all the best for their wedding on Thursday!!
– May 30th to June 16th / Hello to all our followers. It’s been a fun 16 days and we met a lot of great people. The fishing has been decent but not over the top the last little bit as the ocean conditions were slightly lower than usual (as you professionals know a chop helps) and the full moon didn’t help.
We caught some nice Mahi-Mahi, the White Marlins have been biting and we can’t forget the Blues that are still here and will be getting stronger as summer progresses. Once again, thanks to all for choosing Gone Fishing and we welcome all of our followers to join us on board.
– June 16th to July 5th / It’s been an action packed last 20 days since we last posted your pictures. It seems like high season is still continuing as we are constantly booked. The fishing has been a little up and down however the BIG Blues are here and 3 we’re caught just 2 days ago! And we are starting to see the Yellow Fins starting to come in.
The ocean conditions have been stable and are basically steady at an average of 4 to 6 food waives. Once again we’ve met many great people from far and wide this month, including China, Australia and Alaska. Thank you all once again and we can’t wait to have you back on board!!
Gone Fishing is a smooth operation. From pick up to drop off, everything was awesome. Went out and got 14 mahi mahi. My son wanted to fly fish also and caught a Jack and a yellow snapper. They are more geared to trolling for the big fish. The crew didn’t know too much about fly fishing, but we had a super time. They got us on the mahi fast. Fighting one or two Mahi’s at a time. Missed a bunch more. I would highly recommend Gone Fishing to anyone coming our here to Punta Cana. Quick responses to questions by the owner made it even better.
Deep Sea Fishin’
We booked a 4 hour morning private charter with Jack with Gone Fishin’. WOW is all I can say. To the ease of booking to ease of pick up, drop off, boat, equipment, crew, all amazing! We caught 18 Mahi and 1 Wahoo. Wonder was our first mate and man did he hustle the whole time. Baiting, checking lines, showing my husband how to bait the hook (which he LOVED), to Franklin our Captain, finding those fish, making sure we were on as much as possible. I recommend this company 1000%!
If you have sea sickness issues, definitely take meds the day before and day of. Swells were about 4-5ft. I was fine but my daughter yakked over the side but still caught the biggest Mahi of the day. And the poor fish was bit by a shark on the way in! Wonderful day! Don’t look elsewhere, this is the operation you want to go with!
Five of us decided to go deep sea fishing, something we always wanted to do. The trip was great, other than some pretty high waves topping 6ft. After a few hours at sea fighting the waves a few of us got sick. The captain and crew were very nice and attentive to our needs. The fish didn’t seem to be biting until the last hour of our trip, and we caught a BIG one. Took five of us to bring him in. This was an experience we’ll never forget.
Girl Meets World
Y’all! I couldn’t be more impressed with Mark, Jack and the guides! From booking to getting picked up from the hotel, it was flawless. I originally booked two days in the hopes of catching my dream fish, Marlin! I had the time of my life, guides were absolutely impeccable, and made sure everybody on the boat was comfortable and had a good time. For the ones that had never gone fishing before, guides were teaching how to hook the bait, how to reel in lines, what to look for etc. Well two days later, from Mahi Mahi, to Yellow Fin Tuna, to Barracuda, it was a fantastic two days worth of fishing. But I was there to catch my Marlin. Booked a third day and boom, Captain and guide delivered exactly what I’ve been hoping for. An experience of a lifetime! Caught my Marlin and couldn’t have been happier. I was probably the happiest gal they have seen! I’m going back in August and I wouldn’t choose any other outfitter than GoneFishing. But remember, it’s called fishing, not catching! These three days fishing made my trip unforgettable. Y’all rock!
Best day fishing!!!
We finally got to check off an item on our bucket list with several fantastic mahi mahi and a HUGE Blue Marlin! Benny and Anderson were fantastic and took great care of all of us. What a great day!
No Marlin for me, but good experience otherwise
Like everyone else that seems to book this trip, I did so in hopes of catching a Blue Marlin. I live in Fort Lauderdale and zip down to the FL Keys often, so Mahi and even Wahoo are fairly common catches for me. Sadly, I didn’t get my Marlin. However, everything else about the trip was great. We were told there’d be 4-6 foot seas the day we went out (which is honestly nothing in a 36 foot boat) and they were right on point. The boat was nice and roomie, with plenty of seating. We caught 4 Mahi (yum) and a Barracuda (yuck). The Mahi I caught was the biggest of the day, and put up quite the fight, which was fun. After we got back to the beach, we brought one of the Mahi over to the restaurant and they prepared it and served it with a side. Since we had been staying at an all inclusive resort with terrible food all weekend, it was a nice treat to be able to eat fresh Mahi. I would definitely recommend the trip to others. Great time! Thanks for having us.
– July 6th to July 15th / Hello to all of our followers, It’s been a quick 10 days since we last posted however it has been a blast!! The weather here has been fantastic. The Big Blue Marlins have arrived as you will see from the pictures being posted thus a lot of big smiles. The ocean has been quite calm with the exception of a day or two thus most of the first timers on the ocean did well.
– July 16th to 31st. / Another Great month in the Caribbean, temperature getting very hot and so has the Blue Marlin Season! We’ve pulled in a bunch and unfortunately like all fishing tales we lost some Big ones. The weather has bee cooperative and a reminder to anyone traveling down here, the forecast always shows showers and thunderstorms however is anything the rain last 15 minutes and then back to Blue sky’s.
Thank you once again to all that joined us on board and hope to see many new faces in the coming weeks.
Wow! You must go fishing with this outfit. We caught 13 Mahi-Mahi with only 3 people fishing.
They will cook your catch right at the restaurant on the beach.
Benny Hill and his First Mate were the best fish guides in Punta Cana.
Went fishing mid July. Anderson and Benny were our mate and captain. Seas were not bad 4 footers but my wife and younger step son got motion sickness. Anderson suggested bringing them back in and going back out. We did and ended up with about a 200# Blue Marlin. Anderson is a great mate English is good and Benny is a fine Captain. I felt very comfortable on the boat and crew was very professional. They provided a lot more food and drink than I expected. Of course catching the Marlin made the trip. If I had not caught the Marlin my comments would of been the same if not close great crew if I fish Punta Cana again I will be asking for Benny and Anderson
Excellent fishing experience
Had a great fishing trip with this company. The entire experience, from pickup to drop off was easy. The captain and first mate were super friendly and kept in touch with other boats to help us find the most fish. The boats are also covered so you don’t have to worry about getting too much sun.
Great day out
After finding this company on google, I was impressed with how quickly they got back to me. This was the first example of their excellent communication. The pick up at our resort was smooth and the driver was actually early. Everything was very well organized at the marina. The conditions were clearly explained to us, all questions were expertly answered. I had read reviews of people getting seasick but chose not to take anything. Nobody in our party was taken sick but it was a close thing. When I go again I’ll definitely take precautions.
Our mate, Wonder, was fantastic. We caught two Mahi-Mahi but he never stopped trying to get more fish. He felt as bad as we did that we couldn’t get more.
All in all, a fantastic organization that I’d highly recommend
– August 1st to 15th / Hello to all our followers and a big thanks to all that we on board the last 15 days. We know that a couple of boats get skunked (that’s fishing) however for the most part (as you will see from the Pic’s) we had great success! The Blues have been around and have been biting quite well along with the Mahi’s and Wahoo’s. As we don’t cut lines here at Gone fishing, you will see a couple of night pictures as one of our boats stayed out an extra 2 hours fighting a Big Blue. We would also like to give a quick Shout Out to Enzo Sr. and Enzo Jr. who chartered a full day and pulled in a 74 inch White and a 100 inch Blue. Enzo Jr. is only about 6 yrs old and already no longer a bucket list.
Thanks again to all that were on board and we hope to see the rest of our followers on board soon!!
August 16th to 31st / We would like to start by letting all our friends in Texas that our thoughts and prayers are with them during this tough time.
Well the last 15 days saw some great weather and stable ocean conditions. The Big Blues are still around and the Mahi’s are coming in nice. Just this morning we had a boat pull in 17 !!! One day we had 32 out of the 43 guests on board that day stay and enjoy the Catch’ N Eat option. This is a fantastic way to end your fishing day, so don’t forget to ask about it when you come. Thank you once again to all that were on board, and to our followers that will be boarding in the coming months. See you on the Beach!
Great fishing outfit! A must when in Punta Cana!
First of all their reviews online are legit. They are at the top of the search engine because they are the best.
I contacted them through their search engine late on a Thursday night and heard back promptly on Friday morning from Jacques (Jack). He offered me a clear explanation of what services would be provided. They would pick up my son and husband around 8:05 am in an air conditioned van and take them to the beach. Then they took a small motor boat to a large covered 36 foot boat. They fished for several hours and everything was taken care of. They assisted my son to pull in two Dorado’s. They were offered beer and rum and sodas and water.
It was a little rough on the waters but as to be expected. My son was a little sea sick but they let him nap. They go through a huge safety briefing and explain everything in detail to you. They follow all safety rules. They are Canadian owned so they understand the concerns for safety. I can’t say enough about them. When our hotel would not cook our Dorados we took a cab to the restaurant where they would. We ran into the owner who actually said he’d take us back to our hotel for free.
The service is impeccable and very pleased with every aspect of the trip. This is a must and definitely book directly with them and not through your hotel. You will avoid all commission costs and it will be more than reasonable and worth every penny.
We are more than happy with their service!
Great team, hard working and helpful!
We had a 6-hr excursion for 8 people planned. Gone Fishing team was very helpful getting everyone to the boat and explaining the ins/outs. Anderson was our first mate and did an exceptional job keeping us entertained and keeping the tackle ready for fish. Within 1hr of fishing we landed two decent Mahi Mahi. Somewhat later a small Barracuda. My son got sick early on and some of the others on board also didn’t feel well. The GF crew took 5 of us back to shore and then returned to sea with 3 of us for 2 more hours of fishing. We ended up catching 3 more Mahi Mahi.
Overall a good experience other than sea sickness for a few on-board . This was not totally unexpected given the wave heights near Punta Cana. The crew made the best of it and we caught fish! Many thanks to the GF team! If I come back to DR I will try it again!
Glad we chose “Gone Fishing”
Chose a private charter for 6 people. Our pick up at our hotel was spot on time. Good honest explanation when we arrived from Mark. We did have some choppy conditions out at sea throughout and two of our party were sick. The fishing was less involving than I honestly expected but we did catch a Barracuda whilst out. Miguel our deck hand tried ever so hard to produce more action but that’s fishing. Our Captain Alex was also very attentive. Glad we went but some of my family decided it wasn’t for them. This should not in any way reflect on “Gone Fishing” as they were top class all round. Me personally would go time and again and would definitely choose the number #1 company in Punta Cana. Thanks Jack, Mark, Alex and Miguel. Regards Ash
We went on a Wednesday after the eclipse, waters were great, me and my son were picked up on time, amazing start, and went to the boat, Mark was great giving us directions, and instructions, 6 people in our group plus the Captain and Daniel, we had a great time, Daniel and the Captain did everything possible to catch fish, it wasn’t our day, but we had a great experience.
Thanks Jack for this experience, it was great for me and my son.
– Sept 1st to the 15th photos / For the days we were able to get out and fish we had good success. As you all know for safety reasons we closed for a week while Irma passed us by. We are up and running and the ocean has been beautiful. Once again, Punta Cana was not effected by Irma thus no need to reschedule your holidays. Feel free to message us with any questions or concerns you may have, we will be more than wiling to to respond to all. See you on the beach!
– September 7, 2017 notice / Good morning to all our friends and followers. We were very lucky as Hurricane Irma bypassed Punta Cana, thus we will be operational in the next day or so. We would also like to send our thoughts and prayers to all the other islands where Irma made landfall. Let’s also hope that it doesn’t make it to Florida. Lastly, Hurricane Jose will go north and will not effect Punta Cana. Hope to see you all soon.
– September 8, 2017 notice / We just want to send a note to all coming to Punta Cana in the near future or planning their vacation that we did not sustain any major damage here and that all the hotels are open for business as usual. We also had very limited amount of rain thus there is no flooding or pooling of water in the area. No need to cancel or reschedule your vacation. This also may be a good time to check for deals as some vacationers jumped the gun and cancelled their trip here.See you soon!
– Sept 16th to Oct 3rd photos / Hello once again to all our friends and followers from beautiful sunny Punta Cana. We have had a great couple of weeks on the water. lot’s of Mahi-Mahi’s, the Blues have been around as you will see from the pictures and we even caught some nice Yellow Fin Tuna yesterday, they are small but put up a good fight!! The ocean conditions have also been just right. Just a reminder to all that Punta Cana did not sustain any major damage from Maria and all the hotels are business as usual. Thank you all once again for your support and to all those who were on board with us and those we will see in the near future. Lastly, the NHL season starts tonight, GO HABS GO and keep your stick on the ice.
– September 23, 2017 notice / Firstly I would like to send our thoughts and prayers to the people in Puerto Rico and all the other Islands that have suffered from Hurricane Maria. Here in Punta Cana we did receive some effects from the storm, some trees down, signs and unfortunately dwellings that were not made of concrete. From what we have heard there has been minimal if no damage to most of the resorts in the area. All the Gone Fishing team are safe and suffered very little. Our fleet did not suffer any damage and should be operational within the next 48 hrs. Most excursions should also be operational within the next few days. We have a little rain over the next few days but will. Punta Cana is open for business. We will keep everyone updated of any further findings. Once again, please don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns you may have.
– September 30 notice / Good morning to all, We want to introduce everyone the the newest member of the Gone Fishing family, JULYVETTE. She is a 38 foot Bertram , Captained by Franklin and First Mate Wander. . She took her inaugural fishing trip yesterday on an 8 hour tour with Justin and his friends (this was their 3rd year in a row with GF). Thanks once again to all our friends and followers and we hope to see you all on board soon!
Great Experience – And we didn’t even fish!!
Due to Hurricane Maria, we had to cancel our fishing charter. We had one set up for myself and my bridesmaids as an all girls event before my wedding. Jack was the ONLY vendor in PC that kept me posted on the situation with Hurricane Maria, and once we found flights to be cancelled, he didn’t hesitate to refund me my deposit. No stress, no hassle, no negotiation… he said he wouldn’t feel right charging us for something we didn’t get to do. That is the true definition of customer service and a local business who care more about their guests than the money.
I don’t know when we will make it down to the DR now, but I guarantee when we do, we will be fishing with Gone Fishin’!!
Thank you Jack – for helping me make the best out of a terrible situation
My husband (an avid fisherman) and I booked a five hour private charter. We had been communicating with Jack, the Owner and he was very responsive and communicative with us prior to booking. I appreciated his prompt responses and willingness to answer my many questions. Once on the boat we had a great time. I took a bit of Dramamine and has a little snooze. Wander was our first mate and we loved him!! Miguel was our captain and did a great job putting us on some fish. Wander made the BEST ceviche we have ever had from our freshly caught Mahi-Mahi and worked very hard to accommodate us. All in all we caught 10 mahi mahi and one Barracuda. We loved it and highly recommend Gone Fishing!!
Fished with gone fishing Punta cana on 9/21/2017. My nephew, His father-in-law & I booked a 5 hr. Private charter. We were picked up at our resort promptly at 7:20 AM in an air conditioned van & shuttled to Gone fishing’s mooring area which was about a 25 minute ride. Driver was very courteous & we all enjoyed the ride. We were met by Mark who had our crew waiting to pick us up & go over some paperwork, He also was very friendly. The balance for your trip is paid in cash at this time. You must wade in ankle deep water to board the skiff which takes you out to your boat, which is anchored a short distance away. We were helped aboard by Captain Franklin & Mate, Wonder. Safety rules were gone over, location of bathroom (head) & layout of seating areas. Also location of cold beverages & food, snacks, ect. Captain Franklin fired up the boat & we set sail.
About 15 min. After leaving, our Mate, Wonder started setting lines. He explained what type of baits we were going to use & how we were going to fish them & even involved us in the process. 7 lines were put out including out riggers which keep the lines spaced out evenly behind the boat while you are trolling. Over the next few hrs. We caught 8 Mahi Mahi & 1 Barracuda & at one time had 3 Mahi on at one time! Wow! That was awesome! Captain Franklin & Wonder really know the business & do everything they can to put you on fish. I would not hesitate to fish with Gone Fishing again. Everything stated on the website is accurate & no (unpleasant) surprises. Thanks Jack for a truly Great Experience.
– Oct 3rd to Oct 16th / Hello to all our friends and followers. We had quite an exciting half month where we saw some great fishing, many Blue Marlins, Mahi-Mahi’s, Barracudas and even some Yellow Fin! Going into November, this will is usually a great time to catch many Mahi’s and the Wahoo will start circling again. We would also like to thank Captain George (seasoned captain of over 40 years) who came aboard last week and also John S. who gave some great constructive feedback on his outing with us. We always appreciate our guests feedback as this is how we maintain and improve our quality. Thanks again to everyone and hope to see you aboard soon. Tight Lines!!
– Oct 17th to Oct 31st / Well it’s been quite a good month out on the water. The Mahi’s have arrived in abundance!! It’s still called fishing but wow, we had some great days. One of our full day charters pulled in 96 Mahi’s and one Blue Marlin!! We are heading into Wahoo season and we reeled in our first Sailfish of the season yesterday. Please remember that we are heading into high season here in Punta Cana so it’s important to reserve your charters in advance so you don’t miss out. As always, thank your again to all our friends, followers and our guests that have joined in the fun on board. We hope to see you all soon!
Blue Marlin Charter
Gone fishing is a well ran charter operation. Jack the owner was quick to respond to my questions and charter request. A group of four of us took a private charter and had a blast. Our first mate Wander worked his butt off and did an awesome job. We caught Mahi-Mahi and two Barracudas. We could have caught more but after we hooked into a Blue Marlin the crew tried hard to make it a once and lifetime experience. They switched everything out to go for the big fish. It was 100% right decision. I would use this company and the exact same crew all over again.
Trip started out on rough water, had a hard time with my sea legs. Once he fishing started everything was great. Johanna the guide was excellent, lots of fun, lots of drinks…
Great fishing trip
My Nephew and I chartered the Hatteras “RAMONA” with Captain Tito and Mate Joan for a full day (8 hour) trip. We headed out at 8:00 am and had our first fish on by 9:00 am. We caught 7 Mahi Mahi, 2 Yellow Fin Tunas and 3 Barracudas. While fishing, our Mate made fresh ceviche for us from on of our Mahi Mahi. When we got back in we tuna and mahi ashore and the restaurant on the beach cooked it for u with some fried plantain and beans and rice. Great trip…….We had 3 Blue Marlin up looking, but no hook up….darn it!
Absolutely fantastic!! Highly recommended!!
We had an amazing time out on the water. The fish were fantastic, the boat magnificent, and the staff were outstanding. A highlight of our trip.
it was a great time. I was flying solo as my wife does get seasick when we go. Crew was awesome and the guys I fished with were great. the first mate has us feeling right at home and let is know when the beer and rum were. it was rough but it is the ocean so it is to be expected. we traveled on Tuesday the 10th, left port at 7:45 and were back to the hotel by 2:00. it was perfect. we even jumped 6 Marlin and landed two. also caught a mess of Mahis. it was an adrenaline rush to say the least. thanks guys
Had a Blast
My wife and I booked the deep-sea fishing excursion with Gone Fishing through our resort, The Grand @ Iberostar. Despite my getting sick (just be forewarned about the diesel fumes), I still had a great time and I know that my wife did, as well. We went out with other guests, one from Germany and the other from Poland, and they were both great to fish with. The boat captain and Guide were both a lot of fun and helped me out when I got sick. As a group, we ended up with 4 Mahi and had a great time. Would definitely recommend.
Very Productive & Fun with our own fresh ceviche!
We booked a private charter for 7 people with Jack and it was a blast. Funny how the fish struck in 2-3 bursts. Nothing and then 3 lines are bent over…. The ceviche made in front of us between baiting and handing rods to members of the group was great to see. Crew was superb and dealt with a couple of sicko guests nicely. We would book our transport (charter) as private next time too.
Fun day, and we caught fish!
We went out with GF while we were on vacation and had a nice time. The seas were a little rough and not everyone was feeling fantastic–but that’s the ocean and not the charter!
By the end of the day we had pulled in some Mahi’s and a Barracuda. The morning group had caught a 150 pound Marlin!
All in all it was a nice day out on the water.
– Nov 1st to Nov 16th / Hello once again to all our friends and followers. The November weather has been holding up, with a couple of rougher days than others but those days with the “Chop” brought in a bunch of fish! Our focus has been on the Mahi’s however in the past one and a half weeks the Sailfish have been circling along with the Wahoo and as you can see from the pictures we have been getting quite a few Yellow Fin. The high season has started to ramp up so please don’t miss out on some great fishing in Punta Cana and book early. Thanks once again to those who fished with us the past 15 days and to all of our friends and followers for your support. Hope to see you on the beach soon!
– Nov 17th to Dec 1st / Well Sailfish Season is in full swing and we have had some great success along with Wahoo and Mahi-Mahi. The ocean has also been cooperative. Our high season is starting to ramp up so don’t forget to book your spaces on board early. Once again, we thank everyone for their support and hope to see you on the beach in the near future.
I went deep sea fishing on 11/4/17 for my birthday. I booked a trip with Jack, the owner of Gone Fishing in Punta Cana. I planned on going later in the trip but then I saw the weather forecast and decided on the morning of the 4th but it was after hours on the 3rd. Jack made it all happen. He contacted me through email on the evening of the 3rd and got me booked for the morning of the 4th with a pick up at my resort. Everything went smoothly, the crew we had spoke English, was very professional and made the trip enjoyable for everyone on the boat. Everyone caught fish and we stayed out a little past the time until everyone caught at least one. I will definitely book with him again. Thank you, Jack.
Here fishy fishy
We took a morning trip with Miguel. We had a great time we were off to a great start and caught 2 mahi mahi back to back. We got two more towards the end of the trip. Afterwards, we had them prepare our fish for lunch, it was delicious!!!! We stayed at Secrets Royal and it was only about 5 min drive from our resort and we decided to walk back afterward along the beach. We booked directly through Gone Fishing with Jack and it was very easy and we saved 20% on our trip. I recommend doing this so you can avoid having to pay commission fees through the resort travel agencies. The crew and Jack were so friendly and helped make our fishing trip memorable and fun! Thanks!!!
2 great days fishing
Really good fishing outfit, we booked one trip and it was so good we went out again the 2nd week of our holiday.
1st trip was with Jose Miguel, really nice friendly professional charter, and Jose was busy! We hooked 19 fish n landed 13 Mahi Mahi in 4 hrs fishing, it was a busy boat! We had our fished cooked for dinner at the beach restaurant and it was a great end to the day.
2nd trip was with Daniel, he is the most professional and personable guide i’ve met. His manner and attitude are top notch and I really enjoyed his company, we set out after Marlin but caught nothing, this is fishing.
In short i’d recommend this company to anyone.
Great Fish, Great day, Great team
Had a great experience with the Gone Fishin team in Punta Cana this week. Booked directly with Jack and he was extremely easy to deal with. Even sent an email when he knew our driver was going to be a bit late due to guests at another property being late.
We booked 4 hours and caught Mahi Mahi and Barracuda. At one point we had 5 fish on and with only 4 guests, this was quite an experience! The crew did a great job as well and we landed 4 of the 5. Highly recommend the shore lunch after. Definitely would go again next time we are in DR.
This was the first time trying Ocean Fishing for me and my son-in-law and two grand children age 8 and 9. We booked on line with Jack several weeks before Nov 21 for our 1/2 day. Jack does a great job making everything happen and gives lots of great advice by e-mail and through the web site. If you read it and listen there should be no surprises about sea sickness or luck in catching fish and you are even given a last minute to back out before you board when they tell you the wave height expected for the day. Mark was there to meet us and go over the last minute details. We were on one of the larger boats with the flying bridge and there were 8 plus crew.
First Mate Joan was funny and entertaining and had us draw numbers for our turn to pull one in after he hooked it. My son-in-law and I were happy as we each got to pull one in. He got the bigger one about a 12 lb Mahi Mahi, so he has bragging rights. We left our fish for the crew as no one else in our party wanted to share in eating them at the local restaurant. It may be because they did not catch anything, but sorry, that was the luck of the draw.
– Dec 1 to Dec 16 / Hello to all our friends and followers. We would like to thank everyone that came on board in the last 2 weeks. The fishing has been good, mostly Mahi-Mahi, Wahoo and some Sailfish. As you know the Wahoo are a fantastic fight! We also had many guests taking advantage of having their catch prepared at the local beach front restaurant and have great reviews. We would like to wish everyone Happy Holidays and a Fantastic New Year! See you in the new year!!
– December 25 / We would like to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays from the Gone Fishing Family. Hope to see you on board soon!
– December 31 / HAPPY NEW YEAR to all of our friends and followers. The Gone Fishing Family wishes you the best for 2018 and we hope to have you aboard soon. Tight Lines…
– Dec 17, 2017 to Jan 8, 2018. / First I apologize for the delay in getting you photos up for the second part of December. High season has started and we have kicked into high gear! The fishing started a little slow this last period but closed out with a BANG! The last week we have been catching like crazy with many Sailfish, Blue Marlin and Stripper Marlin! Last Friday we reeled in 6…. we also caught many Mahi-Mahi, Wahoo and Barracuda. Once again, be sure to reserve your charters in advance as we are in high season and don’t want you to miss your opportunity to com aboard. Thanks to everyone for following us and for coming aboard. Tight lines for all in 2018.
Hi Jack, just wanted to say thank you! Just came back from a great fishing day. Apart from being quite successful (4 Baracudas and 9 Mahi-Mahi) it was your people who made it a great day.
From the introduction by Marc at the beach to the Captain and of course Jose Miguel they were very professional and very friendly. And what I found to be very nice and unfortunately very rare here, not begging for tips! Also no discussion about taking some fish home.
Thanks a lot! Will definitely recommend your company and hope to be able to go fishing with you again.
A lot of fun
A great day on the water we had a blast. A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work. Our first mate Joan was great and spoke great English thank you.
Surprise Fishing Trip
I surprised my boyfriend with a deep sea fishing trip since he’s never really been. He’s only ever been in Myrtle beach and they caught little Maceral. We live between two rivers and he does a lot of fishing at home, typically for Rockfish or Catfish so I thought this would be something fun for us to do and we both enjoyed it. We did a shared charter and got lucky and it was only us and another couple. It took a little while for the fish to start biting but we all got to catch our fair share. We ended up catching 20 fish total, Mahi Mahi and Barracuda. Wish we had a little more variety of fish but it was still awesome. Our mate was super nice, always had positive spirits, and spoke good English. A shark even bit the tail off of a Mahi Mahi while my boyfriend was reeling, how awesome would it have been if it stayed on the line and him reeling in a shark. Awesome experience.
Also, I never got to meet Jack, but he seemed like an awesome guy just emailing him back and forth. We did the catch and eat option, cool little restaurant on the beach but it was definitely over priced. They told us $10 per person for them to cook our catch, which we didn’t think was bad but we added two margaritas and a pina colada and it ended up being $46USD for just the two of us to eat. Food was really good though, we did half fried and half grilled.
After reading a few post, I feel compelled to write. We chartered on Dec 24 2017 and everything people describe here is very accurate. We signed the waiver (8 of us) and headed out with Juan and JJ. We had a mixture of experienced fishermen in our group, from first time to seasoned pros. Even for the most experienced, the seas were very, very difficult to manage. If you weren’t sitting or holding on to something, you were getting tossed. A few did get seasick but we managed to complete the full day charter and hauled in 15 Mahi. Capt and mate are first class and really worked hard to put us on fish. Bottom line is this trip is not one for novices at this time of year.
Great day of Fishing with Great Company
My two boys and I booked a half day of fishing for the 27th of December but received a call from Jack saying the waves were huge and that we needed to reschedule. Changed to the 29th in the afternoon. We were picked-up on time and once we got to the beach Jack told us that the waves were 4.5 – 7 feet and warned about sea sickness. Signed the waiver and we were off. Met our great Captain Benny and First Mate Anderson who did an incredible job of keeping 7 lines in the water so we would have the best chance of catching. The sea was very rough (crew said at least 6 ft) and many felt it but luckily only one actually fed the fish. I have gotten very sea sick every time I have tried deep sea fishing with much calmer seas, but finally found the right combination to calm it down. There were 7 of us fishing and we all took turns reeling them in for a total of 12 fish.
We caught Wahoo, Mahi Mahi and Barracuda. Cheers to J from Alabama for reeling in the biggest fish of the day! Five of us chose to eat our catch at the restaurant and it was delicious. Our First Mate Anderson even joined us. Half fried, Half baked, fried plantains and french fries for $10 a piece. Beers were $5 each… If I am ever back in the DR, I will certainly use Gone Fishing again. By the way, the combo I used to prevent seasickness was ginger capsules, prescription Scopolamine patch and prescription Zofran. With as rough as the sea was, I would have for sure been chummin the whole time without it.
That was Fishing Report for 2017. Contact us and come with us to make your own memorable fishing adventure!