Deep Sea Fishing Report 2014 – Gone Fishing Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Coming with us on deep sea fishing, depend of season, you can expect to catch Blue Marlin, White Marlin, Bonito, SailFish, Wahoo, Mahi Mahi (Dorado, Dolphin), Barracuda, Yellow Fin Tuna, AmberJack, you’ll even see (sometimes) whales from January to mid-april.
Gone Fishing Charters are out every day, bringing hundreds of anglers on memorable fishing trips. Here are some of notes and Fishing Reports, overview of 2014. I am really not into writing a lot but hopefully you don’t mind; having a great time, good deep sea fishing experiences, nice memories and photos of happy anglers are more important to me. If you like deep sea fishing or want to try it for first time, make an reservation!
Here are some pictures from January. Hope you guys enjoyed your time with us. We loved having you all onboard. All our best wishes from the Gone Fishing team for 2014. It was a crazy month, we saw Blue Marlin, White Marlin, Wahoos, Mahi Mahis, Barracudas’, Sailfish being caught in this time. Great Fishing here in Punta Cana.
– January 10th. Some nice Mahi being caught. great people, great fishing!
– Sunday 19.1.14 Looks like the fish were all gone to church for the day!!!
– January 20th. Ocean was calm and the fishing was great. We had a trifecta today, Sailfish, White Marlin and Blue Marlin were on 3 different boats!
– Few days later (January 23) These good folks had a full day of fishing with 11 Mahi Mahi onboard. Good for you Chuck and Nancy. Hope you had fun!
– end of January – Well, sad to say, but we do also have days that everyone participates but the fish are not willing to come up and bite. You guys still deserve a 10 for trying.
Gone Fishing is 2nd to None
Had a great time with the Gone Fishing crew! This is the 3rd time I have been out with Gone Fishing in Punta Cana and I have never been disappointed. The first time out I caught a 100 pound Blue Marlin, the second time out I caught a nice Sail Fish, and the 3rd time out we caught a dozen Mahi Mahi in about an hour! The staff at Gone Fishing is second to none.
It’s called fishing, not catching
Minus the sea sickness, I absolutely loved the day ! Beautiful weather, excellent staff and we also had a great family join us ! I’d definitely book with Gone Fishing again just have to remind myself to take gravol beforehand (:
FIRST RATE FISHING TRIP
This was an awesome fishing trip on the Sarabel, it all started with the initial communication with Mike and Jack, which was very straight forward and easy to deal with, we had to move our trip once due to high sea conditions, went out on Sunday with Benny Hill and Anderson, we caught 7 large Mahi Mahi and 2 Barracuda.
Fishing report for February: started with not so good weather. After 2 days of cancellations for rough seas we’re finally gone back fishing. It was a slow day but whales were on hand to entertain our guests. After few rough days we had calmer seas and nice fishing.
The whales come all the way from Samana down to our Punta Cana area to feed, every year from late December till mid-April.
– feb 7 – These fine people flew from Toronto and Hong Kong, to have some good time fishing with us… Calmer seas and nice fishing, many awesome days and beautiful fishes
– Feb 12 Looks like the fish got spooked with all the whales around.
– But next day we had Mahi Mahi Fest on Feb. 13. 2014
– Feb. 14th. 2014 Another great day in Punta Cana. Whales and fish were on hand.
– Fishing in Punta Cana Feb. 15th. Who says you can’t catch fish during the full moon?
– Nice quiet Sunday Feb. 16th. very calm ocean once again. Oh and of course lots of mahis to entertain us all!!!
– fishing Feb. 17. mahi mahi were at their best….again!!!
– Windy conditions yesterday ,made fishing conditions difficult. Feb. 19.14
– Who says fishing is quiet on Sundays. Feb. 23rd. 2014
– right now we’re in Mahi Mahi, Wahoo, and Sailfish season, but soon we’ll start catching white marlins and yellow fin tunas also.
Great day fishing
…Nice Mahi Mahi and we saw some whales. I have to say that the skipper and his mate were great and we thoroughly enjoyed. Would definitely book again with Gone Fishing.
Fishing at it’s best in Punta Cana
Great experience with people who showed us the ropes and treated us really well. Canadian owners is the business for a long time and it shows. They were professional and showed us a great day. Definitely recommend this experience.
Had a great experience at first contact with the company. Jack was more that helpful right from the start…
The crew were great we always had 5 to 7 lines in the water and they were always checking the bait. In 4 hours we had 8 fish in the boat the largest over 50 lb. They work hard for their pay.
Had a great time. We brought in 4 Mahi-Mahis. Biggest being 50lbs. The waters were a little rough, but well worth the trip. Will be back with Gone Fishing next year!
– Fishing Report for the March:
– March 1st. some were busy changing their baits, while others were fighting fish.
– More active sea with much better results on March 2nd.
I would suggest do, you try and book before coming down. March is our busiest month. A lot of North American companies send their incentive groups down for a week and often they’ll book my 4 boats up to 2-3 or even 4 days at a time. So if you want to secure your day and time, try to book it before coming down. a small deposit of 30% will do the trick. And of course it’s refundable if bad weather or you guys get sick before the outing. We’re real people dealing with real people, no scams here my friend. see ya at the beach. Jack
– After an over cast kind of day, yesterday, the sun and the fish were back in business on March 3rd.
– March 4th. White Marlins are starting to come, but the Mahi Mahis and Wahoos are still here and hungry.
– March 5th. little windy to start the day, but some impressive catches were reported. A nice 44lbs.
– March 6th. was a slow day, even saw 2 boats get skunked morning and afternoon. That’s why we call ourselves Gone fishing and not Gone catching!!!
– March 7th. Yellow Fin Tunas are coming in.
– Beautiful Saturday for fishing March 8th. 2014
– March 9th. Beautiful day on the ocean.
– March 10th. Not very nice day, overcast and winds from the north in the morning…. but with the north currents we have fish, lots of fish.
– March 12th. a bit of everything some fishing big game and very small game plus loads of whales were seen.
– March 13th. Very calm waters….maybe just a bit to calm. A few barracudas and a couple of Mahis, and luckily the whales saved the day by making another show.
– March 14th. Another nice day,and we even got some spring breakers showing us how to attract fish!!!
– March 15th. Another beautiful day on the ocean.
– March 17th. slow day fishing but lots of whales to watch.
– March 18th. Things are getting better. Nice Bull Mahi was caught.
– March 19th. Beautiful Wahoo was caught 52lbs of pure fight!!! good one boys!!
– March 20th. Some whales, some Mahis and even a Yellow Fin. Sweet day!
– March 21st. good times cold beer,but fish on strike! that’s what fishing is all about,you never know
– March 23rd. great fishing with great company. Chris hope you enjoyed your day as much as we did having you onboard
– March 24th. a bit of whale watching and some fishing. What else can you ask for?
– March 25th. Beautiful day and great fishing once again.
– March 26th. Nice fight with the Wahoos boys
– March 27th. chillin’ & fishin’.
– March 30 & 31st. Strong finish for March, lots hope April follows up with the same success. Thanks to all of you that came out and fished with us
You like what you see? Reserve your tour, we’ll have the Ice cold beer ready for ya!!
– April 2nd. 2014. Great fishing day
– April 3rd. Wet day and afternoon tour cancelled, but fish were caught early on the first tour.
– April 4th.Chillin’ out of the boats. looks like fish took the day off to golf!!!
– April 6th. Choppy day,but was well worth it. Some nice mahis were caught.
– April 7th. 2014. Weather is getting better and swells are finally much cooperative .
– April 9th some great fishing with some great people.
– April 13, 14, 15 .After a few slow days and more or less rough seas. Some nice weather and some nice fishing too.
– April 16 and 17th. Nice weather,nice people, nice fishing!
– April 20, 21, 22nd. While some we’re taking power naps other were fighting some pretty nice game.
– April 24, 25th. After a tough week with little to brag about, we finally got some reward. Good job all.
– April 27th. only one word WOW!!!!
– April 28th. nice conditions and some nice fishing for the folks from Austin Tx.
Trip of a life time!!!!
I wish there was a rating higher then excellent!!!! This truly was a trip of a life time! I had a smile on my face the whole time! I went out 3 times and the cooler was full of cold beer and rum the boats were in great shape, the equipment was terrific, the staff was top notch, and I was lucky enough to have got to meet the owner who was a typical Canadian, friendly, personable, caring, honest and just all round a amazing guy!!!!!
Even on the day I didn’t catch anything and it was very rough on the water I had a blast and couldn’t get the grin off my face. I caught White Marlin, Mahi Mahi, Tuna, and Barracuda! I still feel bad i lost the big White Marlin!
Thanks you Gone Fishing and Jack!!!!
– Nice fishing until may 10,
– May 10th. rainy low clouds, and some serious waves out there. Congrats for those who were able to endure the weather and catch some fish.
– May 12th. Sensational fishing day.
– May 13th. Mahi Mahi, Wahoo and Yellow Fin Tuna were welcomed all day.
– May 14th. Great day for fishing, lot of sun & fishing fun.
– May 22nd. Fantastic day of fishing
Transfer was a little late picking me up and worried me a bit, but once that was straightened out, it was great. The boat went out with 7 fisherman. Everyone decided to draw numbers to see who would reel in fish and in what order. I thought that was a good way to do it. We only caught one fish, but it was a Marlin and it was such a good time helping to reel it in! This was a good experience for me.
Fun time on the water!!
The bus showed up right on time for our ride to the beach. Met with the representative and found out we had a small group of 6 people going out! Met Nelson and got on the dingy and took our ride out to the boat. Super nice people and our safety was number one!…
2 Mahi-Mahi on in a matter of 10 seconds after he saw the log. Unfortunately that was all, but it was awesome being out on the ocean, so beautiful.
I really feel like they did everything they could to find the fish…. Cooler was full of water, beer and Cuba Libre (rum and coke).
Fishing Report – Nothing by day, sorry, it was really busy month. But – Photos says all.
Great Fishing for me
I am an avid fisherman. I have fished all over different continents. I went on two 4 hour fishing charter during the week of June 8. No docks to hop into the charter boat, you wade to an open boat and get transported to the fishing boat. Crews were knowledgeable and polite, charter boats were kinda dated, but are quite clean…First trip caught two fifteen lbs Mahi Mahi, second trip caught two White Marlin about 80 lbs and 70 lbs.
Affordable & Great Deep Sea Fishing Experience
The staff at Gone Fishing is awesome! They were very accommodating, offered us water and beer on the trip, and were extremely helpful when my husband caught a Marlin! This was our first time deep sea fishing and although we both got sea sick, we had a wonderful time.
– Fishing Report 2014 for July: First week was not that good. Much better week from July 8th. till the 13th. Sorry to say still many good people were skunked while out fishing with us, but at least we’ve seen much better success than the previous week.
– July 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13. Much better week from the last one,but will surely get better as the weeks go by.
– July 14th. till the 21st. Great weather, good people and some nice fishing.
– July 22th. till the 31st. great conditions and great fishing this past week.
Great time out in the deep blue sea!
…It was my first time on a deep sea fishing boat, so I popped some Dramamine before we left that morning, and I had no problems with sea sickness. Our crew was knowledgeable and fun. Luis worked hard to keep the lines baited as we trolled along. The captain (can’t remember his name) kept his eyes on the water searching for fish. We only hooked two, a Mahi Mahi and a Barracuda – I got to bring the barracuda in! A fun experience. My husband was a little disappointed because we were hoping for a Marlin, but he had fun sitting on the upper level with the captain, singing and enjoying a day at sea. Beer and water or soda were included and offered often throughout the trip. The crew kept us entertained and we would do it again.
a great experience and will do it again
no catch but had a great time and drink was flowing all day boat was big enough for 8 anglers and we were well instructed on what to do and not to do
Gone Fishing Charters
I booked an 8hr charter on July14 and had a great time. The captain and mate were great people and did everything thing possible to get us a fish. I caught my first White Marlin and loved every second of it. I would strongly recommend this charter for anyone that loves to go sport fishing.
Fishing Report for this month is short – Great fishing month, specially week form 10th till 19.08.14. Glad to see Rick and his firemen buddies having such a great day. Cheers Guys!!!
Great trip! Definitely A legit business!
This was a great trip. The seas were only about 5 feet. We caught a couple small Mahi-Mahi. We ate it at the Langosta Roja afterwards. They fried it and it was fantastic. RoBerto was our guide and he was great. He spoke great English
For us and told us a lot of interesting facts about the Dominican! Can’t remember The captain name but he was great as well and spoke great English. The owner of the business met us afterwards on the beach. His name was Jack from Canada. He was very nice and everything was all about us. Our 12 year old had a blast!
If you go to punta Cana You must go deep sea if you can handle it!!
A lot of quality deep sea fishing here in Punta Cana but none of comments or notes, sorry, way too busy. Just enjoy the photos from this month…
Hi All! first week of October, was outstanding. Just awesome sea conditions and mahi mania all over Punta Cana. Thanks to all for coming along with us!
– October 6th. till the 13th. Another awesome week for fishing. tons of Mahis and Blue Marlins are still around the area. Thanks to everyone that joined us this past week.
– October 13th. till the 19th. Another great week for fishing here in Punta Cana
– October 20th till the 26th. Was a fantastic week for fishing. Another calm week for ocean conditions and just crazy amounts of fish caught. Even had Vicki A. and her family catch 86 Mahis on a full day charter. Now’s that’s fishing!
– Final week of October. Probably one of the best October’s I’ve seen since I’ve been here nearly 20 years now. Thanks to everyone that came out with us and I hope you all enjoyed yourselves.
Our fishing guide Ricardo was wonderful. My son caught 3 huge mahi and Ricardo was there to help every step of the way. Very pleased with the fishing trip. Just make sure to take anti-nausea medication before you go.
Best fishing trip ever!
Jack from Gone Fishing was very up to speed on booking the trip and the fine line details about morning and afternoon trips. The guys who ran the boat, Francisco and Denardo for Jack worked VERY hard at fishing and entertaining us while fishing. From having snacks to eat and cold drinks to rum and cold beer. We almost caught a Blue Marlin and that’s when they really cranked it up trying to get another chance on it. The best 4 hr trip I’ve been on. With these guys you could fish all day and never have a dull moment! They made sure everybody got fish on board several times! I would highly recommend them to anyone wanting to fish from !st timer to expert.
We had never been deep sea fishing before but wanted to try it. Franklin and Roberto did a terrific job. We enjoyed it so much we took another trip 2 days later. All told we caught 2 Marlin and 20 Mahi Mahi. They will tell you there is no guarantees in fishing but it certainly did not feel that way. Thanks guys for the great experience
The best fishing experience I’ve ever had
I would like to thank Jack and his team for a excellent fishing trip. The crew off our boat was helpful and they new the right places to catch fish. The five other guys I was with all thoroughly enjoyed the trip. We had the most fish that day out of the three boats, 22 in total. I would recommend this company to everyone who wants to fish in Punta Cana and hopefully I’ll be back to do it again soon.
Fishing Report for November:
– November 1st. till the 8th. We had 2 days of cancellation for our first cold front coming in which brought rough surf but also our first sail fish. Thanks to all who took on the elements of nature and got rewarded with some nice fishing.
– November 9th till 15th. Much better conditions from the first week of Nov. and our first sail fish of the season are in. Brett M. from Fl. and is gang had a great time and even had 4 sail fish at the same time during their outing.
– November 16th till the 22nd. Nice weather for fishing with lots of mahis and sailfish and even a few Blue marlins.
– November 23 rd. till the 30th. We lost 3 days of fishing for rough weather, but then it was well worth the wait. Thanks to all for braving the conditions and getting rewarding for it.
picked up at resort on time, beer and soft drinks on the boat. Captain and first mate, always looking out at the baits, changing them when needed. Only a short walk on the beach from the Melia if you don’t want a ride. Thanks Jack, highly recommend your fishing. Franklin, a great captain and speaks fluent english
Deep sea fishing at it’s best
Super day of fishing. The staff is wonderful :). The water was not to rough so it was the perfect day to fish. I would recommend this to everyone who goes to Punta Cana. From the pick up at the hotel to the drop off, everything is very professional. Hope to see you guys next year.
Great Fishing Trip
Gone Fishing Charters is one of the more organized charter groups that I have had the pleasure of using. I started researching my trip about 1 year prior to actually visiting the Dominican Republic. Jack Rougerie stayed in constant contact with me via email. He would answer all of my emails within a few hours… We trolled around for about an hour and then we hit a school of Mahi-Mahi. Nelson earned his money here. He was baiting hooks and tossing rods for us to reel in. Before we knew it we had 15 Mahi’s in the live well (2 monsters).
After the trip we were brought back to the beach where they prepared some or our catch for us and we ate right on the beach. The coordinator was there when we finished our lunch and had a driver there to return us to our resort.
Great time! Tons of fish!
My group and I went out for half day trips. We had 2 boats with 4 ppl on each and we both had the best time possible. My boat hooked 4 sailfish at once for a crazy fight. The other both ran through a school of Mahi catching as many as they could. I think it was close (if not over) 20 fish!!
They supplied the beer, water, mamajuana and rum. Captain and first mate were great! I would recommend this to anyone in Punta Cana. But just remember- it is fishing, you might not catch something every trip. We just had great luck.
Best excursion on the island.
Gone fishing was very accomodating for our group of 11. We requested that we all be on the same boat so they chartered one for us that ended up being way cheaper than if we had just went on separate boats… All in all everyone caught a fish, including a blue marlin over 125lbs and almost an hour long fight. As a fisherman one cannot ask for a better day on the water.
– First week of December – Some rough seas for a couple of days, but we were finally able to take some guests fishing. thumbs up to everyone who withstood these strong conditions.
– December 15th. till the 21st. Still many rough days throughout the week, but well worth it.
– December 22nd. till the end – great fishing days! Happy new year everyone and thanks for your support throughout the year. Hope to see you all again fishing with us this up-coming year. cheers Jack
We had a great day fishing with Gone Fishing! We went out on Saturday morning and there was our family of 4 and 1 other person. Tio was fantastic and worked very hard to ensure that we had a great time. We ended up catching 2 fish, which was a bonus. The boat was well equipped and everyone was very friendly. We will definitely fish with them the next time we are in Punta Cana!
We chartered a boat on December 15th. We met Jack on the beach and then Anderson taxied us to the boat. The waves were 4-6 feet, but that didn’t stop us from catching 15 fish. I was a little disappointed we didn’t catch a Marlin, but I guess that gives me an excuse to go back again. Our guide Anderson was very knowledgeable and explained what he was looking for (seaweed, birds etc) to find the fish.
Nice first sea fishing experience
My boyfriend and I decided to give sea fishing a try after we had decided on the different beach activities since we wanted to try something different yet exciting. For this I believe our trip with Gone fishing was perfect.
The guides were helpful and taught us about the basics of setting up the hooks and gave us the opportunity to set up the lines ourselves. I was surprised at the level of involvement we could have in the process and each of the 8 fish we caught made it all more satisfying.
The sea was a bit rough on the day we went and for that I would recommend everyone to take medicine before the trip.
A Successful Day Despite the Weather
We were a little worried about the weather but we are glad we went out. Waves were about 6 feet high at their peak but we all had taken gravol pills that morning so nobody got sick (although we were drowsy that afternoon still). Caught two Wahoo and five Mahi Mahi in our four hours and our teenage kids enjoyed the day although we went over 90 minutes with no action at one point. Crew were very professional and good and spoke English which helped. I would recommend this group to others. Booking and communication from Jack was first rate.